Why recorded file is 4 GB maximum then stopped recording

General discussion . (Do not post bug reports or feature requests in this section!)

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

MGadAllah
Not too shy to talk

Why recorded file is 4 GB maximum then stopped recording

Postby MGadAllah » Mon May 07, 2012 11:14 am

Hello
Please I've tried to record all channels in the same transponder and it worked good with no problems but I've found that it does not record after 4 GB file size.
For example if I am recording a transponder A , and it has 5 channels, I was able to start recording all the channels and recorded files created with no issues.
Then all of the sudden as soon as the recorded files reached the 4 GB size it is stopped and no more recording at all.
This is a disaster for me as I am recording the whole day.
So please help me urgently :).

DvbDream Customer
poppo
love DVB Dream!

Re: Why recorded file is 4 GB maximum then stopped recording

Postby poppo » Mon May 07, 2012 1:09 pm

What file system are You using on the drive where to You record?
If its Fat 32 its the filesystem limitation (max filesize on fat 32 filesystem is 4GB)
SkyStar HD with TechnoTrend 5.0.2.1 drivers
reported by system as TT-budget S2-3200 (BDA)
on Windows XP/Vista/7 all 64 bit
mainly windows 7 x64 pro PL

Intel Q6600 12GB of RAM
GeForce GTX 280
dish at HotBird/Astra standart DiSEQC 1.0 swich
Motherboard Asus P5Q
MGadAllah
Not too shy to talk

Postby MGadAllah » Mon May 07, 2012 1:46 pm

DvbDream Customer
genpix
love DVB Dream!

Postby genpix » Mon May 07, 2012 5:14 pm

have you tried to change "max file size (for split)" to something different then 4GB?
for instance, some much bigger number, or set it to zero (to disable splitting completely).
Maybe (somehow) splitting is not working right in your environment (for instance, your program does not have enough privileges; it happens if you install DVB Dream into Program Files folder of Windows 7 -> try to instal DVB Dream in some other folder, root for example).

are you recording on a system drive?
probably, it's not a good idea, especially if you are recording several channels simultaneously and doing something else in windows (which constantly access the hard drive).
It's even worse idea to have a hard drive broken into several partition (one of those partitions is a system partition), and record on a separate (non-system) partition.

Better to have a separate hard-drive for recordings.
MGadAllah
Not too shy to talk

Postby MGadAllah » Mon May 07, 2012 11:37 pm

have you tried to change "max file size (for split)" to something different then 4GB?
No I did not.
for instance, some much bigger number, or set it to zero (to disable splitting completely).
I am at work now and I will try to do this settings when I go back home today and feed you back.
Maybe (somehow) splitting is not working right in your environment (for instance, your program does not have enough privileges; it happens if you install DVB Dream into Program Files folder of Windows 7 -> try to instal DVB Dream in some other folder, root for example).
The file is not splited but as soon as it grows to 4 GB it is stop recording and no new file created to continue recording.
are you recording on a system drive?
Yes, I do so.
probably, it's not a good idea, especially if you are recording several channels simultaneously and doing something else in windows (which constantly access the hard drive).
Computer is dedicated only for recording and do nothing else except that.
It's even worse idea to have a hard drive broken into several partition (one of those partitions is a system partition), and record on a separate (non-system) partition.
No, I've just a one drive 80 GB and make it all one partition.
Better to have a separate hard-drive for recordings.
I've installed DVB Dream on the root of the drive C: ... The problem to add more drives to the computer that Dell OptiPlex GX620 does not has a place except for one drive, but I may get a bigger drive spce like 500 GB and make it two partitions with 50 GB for system and 450 GB for recording it this may help.

So please advise.
DvbDream Customer
shootbootleg

Postby shootbootleg » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:32 am

meh, use Linux Mint and install Kaffeine. a much better program and it's totally free. As is the OS.

Return to “General”