Need help to understand DD in overall scheme

General discussion . (Do not post bug reports or feature requests in this section!)

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

Jim45

Need help to understand DD in overall scheme

Postby Jim45 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:28 am

I am trying to understand how to get the best picture on my hitachi widescreen television. I have 2.4 Ghz Pentium processor. using Twinhan 1030A card and video card is Diamond S80 with 128 MB VGA and DVI ouptut. Using DVI to HDMI converter to feed into TV. Set TV to display in 1080i.
Have noticed picture is pixelly sometimes. Picture freezes for a second sometimes. Soccer game was freezing sometimes and sometimes in slow motion, even though I know that the real scene was in real time motion.
After sometime, 10 minutes or more, the computer would lock up. Decreased CPU from 70 % to 40% by turning on timeshifting to hard drive.

Thus I am trying to understand how DD and others fit into the overall scheme so I can adjust the correct equipment or software to get the best picture.

My understanding of how this system works is a s follows; the LNB receives the signal from satellite at 11 GHZ and converts the signal to .9 to 2.15 GHZ. The card takes the signal and converts it to digital stream. The stream is then broken into the separate transponders and then into the separate channel packets. All the channel packets are in MPEG-2 or MPEG-4.

Does the program DVBDream( and others do they) take the MPEG-2 and convert it to a video stream to be sent to the video card. The video card then takes the stream and converts it to video. Will getting a Video card with decoding help? If yes what kind of decoding?

What does the CPU do in this scheme? Does it just pass streams from the DVB card to the video card, or does the card perform other functions?

If CPU only passes streams why does the CPU usage go to 80% when watching a program.

What does having a DVB-S card with hardware decoder do?
How does the twinhan with software decoding differ form a DVB-S card with hardware decoder? What does the DVB-S card decode?

What does DD decoding decode?

I will try to clarify more of these after receiving some feedback.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to “General”