Genpix do you plan to fix the mpeg-4 problem?

The posts related to fixed bugs & old feature requests will be moved to here.

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

gimme dvb
Just can't stay away

Genpix do you plan to fix the mpeg-4 problem?

Postby gimme dvb » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:44 am

I think it is obvious that Genpix cards are having a problem with the mpeg-4 (h264) channels. If not everyone then many people. I am using the new Cyberlink codec and those channels are very choppy. Are you planning on fixing this problem, I paid a lot of money for this card.

Genpix/2.004/Geforce 6600GT/WinXP Athlon 3200+/2gigs/Dish/SW21/single lnb
tryit
Home away from home

Postby tryit » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:34 pm

I am having no problem with h.264 and genpix's stuff, it looks to me like you need more horsepower on your computer and videocard. The cyberlink codec also isn't very good, try ati's avivo or coreavc's core codec. h.264 is quite a challenge, don't be so quick to blame genpix. He is delivering the datastream to your system just fine, its your machine that can't handle it.
TH102G/Genpix USB
gimme dvb
Just can't stay away

Postby gimme dvb » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:42 pm

It's just that I used to get mpeg-4 fine. I didn't have my satellite connected for awhile but just connected to find out I couldn't receive the mpeg-4 channels anymore. Someone told me Dish had done something to the mpeg-4 channels and I needed the latest Cyberlink codec (from Powerdvd 7.3). But that they were not working properly. So I installed it and sure enough they're all choppy.

I tried the CoreAVC codec and couldn't even get anything, but I'll try again and see if I have better luck, and also that ATI codec. What kind of computer power are you suggesting someone needs in order to run h264? I was gonna buy a new graphics card anyway, and someone has said some have h264 hardware acceleration. I hope that will help this problem.
Genpix/2.004/Geforce 6600GT/WinXP Athlon 3200+/2gigs/Dish/SW21/single lnb
deltad
Not too shy to talk

Postby deltad » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:14 pm

There's nothing wrong with the genpix card. Dish may have changed the resolution of the particular streams to something like 1440x1080 from 1280x720 or in some other way have made the streams more CPU intensive to decode since the last time you had checked. Maybe you're no longer getting any hardware acceleration from your video card due to a change.

ABC/Fox give me problems using the cyberlink codec (1.99.0.1405)
but work fine with coreavc 1.3. CBS and NBC have the occasional problem with coreavc but work fine with the cyberlink.

You might try the new Geforce 8500GT card under 32-bit Vista since it's supposed to be able to offload all h.264 processing to the video card. Otherwise, I'd probably be looking at something like a Core 2 Duo E6600 or better.

Since you're on the dvbdream board, you might want to ask for better dual core support. The hardware requirements for h.264 wouldn't be nearly as high if dvbdream could use both cores effectively. DVBviewer can somehow do this but it doesn't support the genpix hardware so is not an option.
tommyz
Just popping in

Postby tommyz » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:19 am

its not the genpix board.

Its the marriage of codecs and a non standard h264 stream.

Dual core support could help
genpix

Return to “Old bug reports & requests”