Genpix module + 1.3C -> system hangs

the bugs that are most likely related to user configuration (like a specific hardware, codec or driver prob) or impossible to find a logical reason at the moment. The problems in this category might be fixed in future versions as users keep confirming them with additional information.

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

deeken
Just popping in

Genpix module + 1.3C -> system hangs

Postby deeken » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:54 am

I just recently switched from an HP to a new stable rig with a MS-7125 mobo, but with the same RAM, harddrive, and video card from my HP computer. I'm using the Genpix 8PSK-to-USB2 with DVBDream 1.3C, and NVIDIA & Intervideo codecs. After scanning for channels on 97W, I would be able to watch television and switch between channels for some time. All of a sudden, after switching to another channel, the DVBDream program would freeze and cause my entire system to hang. Every subsequent attempt to open DVBDream caused my system to hang (no BSOD however).

I just did a clean install of my OS, and installed the Genpix module and DVBDream. Again, I would be able to watch TV and switch between channels. But after doing a channel scan on another satellite, I got the same problem with the program freezing/hanging my system.
Exception:
--------------------------------------------------
2.1 Date : Thu, 7 Jun 2007 21:30:11 -0700
2.2 Address: 7C90EB94
2.3 Module : ntdll.dll
2.4 Type : EFrozenApplication
2.5 Message: The application seems to be frozen.

Active Controls:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
3.1 Form Class : Ghost
3.2 Form Text : DVB Dream v1.3c - Genpix 8PSK-to-USB2 (DVB-S)
3.3 Control Class:
3.4 Control Text :

Computer:
-------------------------------------------------------------
4.1 Name :
4.2 User :
4.3 Total Memory : 2047 Mb
4.4 Free Memory : 1637 Mb
4.5 Total Disk : 186.3 Gb
4.6 Free Disk : 171.14 Gb
4.7 System Up Time: 9 minutes, 12 seconds
4.8 Processor : Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 180
4.9 Display Mode : 1024 x 768, 32 bit

Operating System:
------------------------------------
5.1 Type : Microsoft Windows XP
5.2 Build # : 2600
5.3 Update : Service Pack 2
5.4 Language: English

Network:
------------------
6.1 IP Address:
6.2 Submask :
6.3 Gateway :
6.4 DNS 1 :
6.5 DNS 2 :
6.6 DHCP :

Call Stack Information:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Address |Module |Unit |Class |Procedure/Method |Line |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Exception Thread: ID=196; Priority=0; Class=; [Main] |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|7C90EB94|ntdll.dll | | |KiFastSystemCall | |
|7C90D8ED|ntdll.dll | | |NtDeviceIoControlFile | |
|72D1129C|msacm32.drv | | |wodMessage | |
|76B45356|winmm.dll | | |waveOutOpen | |
|00587FB6|dvbdream.exe|ds_mng.pas |TDS |StartGraph |2753[5] |
|00587F7C|dvbdream.exe|ds_mng.pas |TDS |StartGraph |2748[0] |
|0056B6E8|dvbdream.exe|pip_mng.pas | |ShowPip |574[233] |
|0056ACB0|dvbdream.exe|pip_mng.pas | |ShowPip |341[0] |
|005B19FE|dvbdream.exe|dvbdream.dpr | |InitDirectShow |552[9] |
|005B19B8|dvbdream.exe|dvbdream.dpr | |InitDirectShow |543[0] |
|005B3542|dvbdream.exe|dvbdream.dpr | | |1029[259]|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Here are screenshots of the error screen:
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2373 ... or1yc5.png
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4281 ... or2ge0.png

(Is ntdll.dll the culprit here??)

I am using all the latest drivers/updates on this system. I do not have this problem with the Genpix device and DVBDream on my other rig.

Much help to resolve my problem (other than using it on my slower HP computer :) ) would be appreciated.

Genpix 8PSK-to-USB2 rev1
8500GT, XP Pro SP2
gimme dvb
Just can't stay away

Postby gimme dvb » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:38 am

My system hangs too and eventually shows that error screen when I turn to one of the mpeg-4 (h264) channels. There are many people saying Genpix is not working right with the h264 channels. I can be on an mpeg-2 channel and everythings ok but when I turn to a channel that's mpeg-4 it gets choppy, stutters, then hangs. Then after a minute or two I get that error message. When it hangs the only thing to do is press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get the windows task manager to appear and end the "dvbdream.exe" process there. It will take a minute or two because everything hangs or becomes very sluggish, but you will be able to close it. When I do this the next time I open up dvbdream it usually opens up on the last channel that did work properly, which is an mpeg-2 channel. If that doesn't happen and it opens up on a mpeg-4 channel then change to one of the mpeg-2 channels very quickly, before it catches the mpeg-4 signal (you ony have 1-3 seconds to change the channel quickly before it hangs again).
Genpix/2.004/Geforce 6600GT/WinXP Athlon 3200+/2gigs/Dish/SW21/single lnb
deeken
Just popping in

Postby deeken » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:49 pm

My system hangs too and eventually shows that error screen when I turn to one of the mpeg-4 (h264) channels. There are many people saying Genpix is not working right with the h264 channels. I can be on an mpeg-2 channel and everythings ok but when I turn to a channel that's mpeg-4 it gets choppy, stutters, then hangs. Then after a minute or two I get that error message. When it hangs the only thing to do is press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get the windows task manager to appear and end the "dvbdream.exe" process there. It will take a minute or two because everything hangs or becomes very sluggish, but you will be able to close it. When I do this the next time I open up dvbdream it usually opens up on the last channel that did work properly, which is an mpeg-2 channel. If that doesn't happen and it opens up on a mpeg-4 channel then change to one of the mpeg-2 channels very quickly, before it catches the mpeg-4 signal (you ony have 1-3 seconds to change the channel quickly before it hangs again).
Not exactly helpful since my problem occurs on any channel, and I'm usually tuning into MPEG-2 chs. And when the DVBDream program freezes, it freezes/hangs my entire system so that it forces me to hit the RESET button cuz I can't open any app/window once the program goes kaput.

(For your MPG4 problem, I suggest you search and try the latest Cyberlink Codec. H264 chs. have never been smooth for me either, but this comes close.)

Tried different things:
Unchecked the "Tune to the last channel on startup" -- this allowed me to open the program...until I select a channel, then the program instantly freezes on me.

Also, unchecked "Reset DS after channel-change" -- worked for a while, then the program would at random start freezing again, and forcing me to do another install/re-install/rescan.

No luck so far...
Genpix 8PSK-to-USB2 rev1
8500GT, XP Pro SP2
gimme dvb
Just can't stay away

Postby gimme dvb » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:13 pm

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. As for my mpeg-4 problem, I've alredy tried the latest Cyberlink and CoreAVC codecs. Cyberlink works great with mpeg-2, not with mpeg-4. CoreAVC did not help the problem either.
Genpix/2.004/Geforce 6600GT/WinXP Athlon 3200+/2gigs/Dish/SW21/single lnb
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:59 pm

I guess this issue is particular to that rig ? hardware related ?
DVB Dream - because I have to dream about having time to code it

Return to “Undetermined”