bandstacked LNB doesn't work on even "horizontal"

the bugs that are most likely related to user configuration (like a specific hardware, codec or driver prob) or impossible to find a logical reason at the moment. The problems in this category might be fixed in future versions as users keep confirming them with additional information.

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

TheKrell
Home away from home

bandstacked LNB doesn't work on even "horizontal"

Postby TheKrell » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:34 am

Using DVBDream 1.3c on existing Dish Network "Dish Pro" setup. (Yes, I know there's not much there broadcast ITC...) I have a brand new Twinhan 1025 DVB-S card running THBDA 1.2.3.8 drivers. I have a 3-satellite setup using all DishPro bandstacked LNBs pointed at 61.5, 110, and 119 deg W, and a DP34 Diseqc 2.0 switch. The switch responds to Diseqc 1.2 commands just fine: that is not the problem. The problem is with the bandstacked frequencies, shown in DVBdream as "horizontal". In some places, they're numbered as even transponder numbers.

I pick the LNB type by selecting Options --> Diseqc --> Add Satellite --> LNB Type "NA Bandstacked DP Ku-Hi (DBS)". Lof-1 is filled in with 11250000 and Lof-2 is filled in with 14350000. I believe these numbers are in kHz and correct (since they work in MyTheatre). The even "horizontal" transponders should use a LOF according to the following formula for circular polarized LNBs: 25600000 minus ini-file "horizontal" frequency = band stacked "horizontal" frequency. If I calculate this number and enter it into the frequency box for an even transponder, and do a manual scan, channels are found. Doing an automatic scan results in missing all the even "horizontal" bandstacked transponders with the error message "No signal."

Some people claim they had my exact setup working fine in the previous version of DVBdream. Has this (automatic bandstacked frequency calculation) been broken in 1.3c? Thank you for your rapt attention! (And a best-in-class TV viewer.)

Twinhan 1025 DishPro LNB DP34 switch Echostar satellites at 119, 110, 61.5
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:44 pm

are you sure there is a problem with bandstacked LNBs ?
I got no bug report related to them yet.

what do you mean exactly with "even transponders"?
DVB Dream - because I have to dream about having time to code it
TheKrell
Home away from home

Postby TheKrell » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:20 pm

Welcome back rel! Boy my OP was 2 months ago. Let's see. I have not seen the reported behavior above since I tried ScanMan's BDA driver. This crashes my computer quite effectively, and I've removed it again. But something is different because I can rarely tune anything in, either from my previously-stored channel list or using the auto-scan. I just tried auto-scan again on 110, with the result that it found 1 new channel, updated 27, and lost 184.

What I meant in my original post was that when I tried an auto scan, the vertical frequencies would find channels, but the horizontal frequencies would not. Ever! Doing a manual scan, and entering a different LOF for the horizontal frequences as posted above, I found most (if not all) of the missing channels. That is why I figured the bandstacked frequencies were being calculated incorrectly. That would explain why a manual scan with a new frequency did locate those missing channels.

However, I've been manually adding transponders and trying so many different things, it's unclear to me now whether entering a calculated new LOF, or simply doing a manual scan on a transponder, did the trick. I also saw (on the above scan of 110) a horizontal transponder labelled 8psk actually found a number of channels. That can't be right since I'm pretty sure a Twinhan 1025 can't do 8psk at all.

Very confusing situation. I probably need to (1) start with an up-to-date transponder list and (2) clear out the junk I've stored in various DD ini files, before I can make sense of what's happening.
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:09 pm

I dont understand what is the difference on your setup. Normally "bandstacked DP" setting should work fine on DD.
let me know if you find something.
TheKrell
Home away from home

Postby TheKrell » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:41 pm

I downloaded new transponder files from http://joshyfun.peque.org, deleted settings.ini and settings.cfg, and set up my switch and LNB settings again. (Used the NA bandstacked DP LNB). Doing the autoscan results in hundreds of lost channels, 10 or 20 updated channels, and 1 new channel on each satellite. Few transponders are found via auto scanning.

I will now try manually scanning w/o fiddling with LOFs...
mazaii
Just popping in

Same problem

Postby mazaii » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:02 pm

I have similar problem. Auto-scan in DD 1.4g returns way fewer channels than in MT (used 119 for test). LOF1 and 2 are set to 11250. Manual scan find s around 260 channels, but I believe it still less than in MT (well over 300 if I recall correctly).
Twinhan 1025 (WDM 2.4.1.1, 26/02/2004), 121/119/110 Sats, SG2100 motor, DiseqC 4x1, Invacom QPH-031 LNB, Winegard 30" , Win XP, FusionHDTV RT, Asus EN8600GTS, AMD 3800+ DC
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:39 am

1) try INI files in the setup package with "Network scan" enabled . Don't use any special INI file for bandstacking LNBs, DD will handle them

2) have you tried twinhan_SDK device ? (It needs some directshow filters that you can find in the following pack, just install it)
www.dvbdream.org/files/WinDTV2.5_SDK_03.zip

3) I dont have the card to test but maybe 1025 needs another way to handle Diseqc, and there is no manufacturer documents related to this, so diseqc on some twinhan models might not work at all.
TheKrell
Home away from home

Postby TheKrell » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:00 am

I'm having great success with DD 1.4g correctly controlling my DP34 switch. This is a DishPro (bandstacked) diseqc 1.2 -compatible switch with 3 sats in, and 4 receiver outputs. I'm not familiar with your LNBs, but I am guessing that they are not bandstacked. So... All you probably have to do is make sure your switch is set up correctly and DD should find channels. Note that I'm using the Twinhan BDA driver v.1.2.3.8 dated 2006.05.
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:02 am

I'm having great success with DD 1.4g correctly controlling my DP34 switch. This is a DishPro (bandstacked) diseqc 1.2 -compatible switch with 3 sats in, and 4 receiver outputs. I'm not familiar with your LNBs, but I am guessing that they are not bandstacked. So... All you probably have to do is make sure your switch is set up correctly and DD should find channels. Note that I'm using the Twinhan BDA driver v.1.2.3.8 dated 2006.05.
Which BDA interface do you use on DD for Twinhan 1025?

BDA_Native or ScanMan's BDA_ALL ?

or does diseqc work ok on both ?
mazaii
Just popping in

Postby mazaii » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:25 pm

rel,
1) not quite sure what you mean by "ini files in the setup package", dd transponder setup files? I haven't used any special files. I scanned with network scan, and got a bunch of duplicate channels.

2) Just tried with twinhan_sdk driver you suggested + network scan option. It took really long time to scan, found 146 channels only, and somehow it detected all the "vertical" transponders without signal.
One one, MT seems to lock a signal a couple of times before it gives up, how about DD? It seems just zooming through, without verifying whether there is a signal or not.

3) AltDVB, MT don't seem to have a problem with that, so I'm pretty sure DD needs changes, well unless they do it wrong.

TheKrell,
The switch is setup exactly as for MT/AltDVB, but they don't have that problem.
I read somewhere that BDA drivers don't support USALS or motor commands; not sure how true it is, or how up-to-date that information.

Any other suggestions, or anything I can try?
Twinhan 1025 (WDM 2.4.1.1, 26/02/2004), 121/119/110 Sats, SG2100 motor, DiseqC 4x1, Invacom QPH-031 LNB, Winegard 30" , Win XP, FusionHDTV RT, Asus EN8600GTS, AMD 3800+ DC
TheKrell
Home away from home

Postby TheKrell » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:19 pm

Which BDA interface do you use on DD for Twinhan 1025? BDA_Native or ScanMan's BDA_ALL?
BDA_Native. ScanMan's BDA_ALL very efficiently crashes my computer 100% of the time when I restart DD. :(
Any other suggestions, or anything I can try?
Well... How about rotating to a known satellite, and directly connecting the LNB to see how DD scanning goes? If channels then scan properly, then that will eliminate all tuner issues.
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:37 am

not quite sure what you mean by "ini files in the setup package", dd transponder setup files?
Yes, but sorry, I don't think you will have success on DD with diseqc switch or motor until 1025 is added to the list of supported/tested devices . (I'll need info on how to control diseqc through WDM or BDA, but no enough info provided by Twinhan)
mazaii
Just popping in

minor improvement and big set back!

Postby mazaii » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:14 am

ok, "undetected vertical transponders" should have been the clue. I checked my LOF-SW settings and it wasn't there (only lof-1 and lof-2), so I set it to 0. Now the scan sees the signal from <most> of the transponders. After the auto-scan, I go to scan manually those without the signal; this detects the rest. So far, 119 has 358 channels, and 110 - 406.
The only thing now is that DD keeps crashing! I tried to send the stack to the server, but couldn't; I'll add an attachment.

Thanks for your help. Back to MT :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
casperc
Not too shy to talk

Bandstacked LNB loss of upper H Channels

Postby casperc » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:29 am

I had a similar problem, solved it by modifying Transponder setup files, slightly after using manual scan.

Using A Skystar 2 PCI and latest DVB Dream, with Bandstacked NA LNB, I had lost all the upper (H )Channels on both 110 & 119 Birds, Using Manual Scan I found I had to add 2 or 3 to Transponder Frequency Setting to receive. I modified Transponder file accordingly and now receive all.

This is probably due to;

1) My DishPro Dual LNB has drifted, although all lower band channels are OK and leased receiver has no similar problem.

2) My Skystar 2 card has drifted in frequency, although again lower band is OK.

3) DD somehow miscalculates Upper Band frequencies from Transponder File.

4) Some other problem.
Nextorm DVB USB
Skystar 2 PCI
Win XP
Echo
Pentium 4 3.2GHz
Turion 64 ML-34 1.8GHz

Return to “Undetermined”