No Signal After Wake

Fixed bugs & the feature requests that have been implemented. Section is just to inform users during version changes.

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

rshack
Not too shy to talk

No Signal After Wake

Postby rshack » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:25 pm

This is my first post here, been using DVBDream for only about a month now, and have run into one little annoyance I can't seem to find a solution too :shock:

Info:
I'm using a Genpix Skywalker-2 in an AMD X2 based PC with DVBDream 1.7a (latest version as of this posting)

Problem:
This is all in a HTPC based machine, meaning it goes to sleep on a regular basis, and powers on automatically for recordings, etc.
The problem is once the computer wakes up from sleep, DVBDream will show no signal, and changing channels does nothing. Only solution is to close DVBDream and then re-open it. Only closing, and re-oping the application will resolve the zero-signal problem.

I currently have an AutoHotKey script set to run on wake, which will close DVBDream and re-open automatically, still not the solution I would like.
I have contacted Genpix and explained my situation, and this was his response:
Rel has to make the "work-around", it's his program not mine.
PC sleep/wake-up support has to be supported in the software (not the driver). Driver works fine after PC wake-up. It's just software has no clue that state of the DVB-s card has changed after wake-up (software has to react properly).
I'm hoping this could be easily implemented into the software :)

rel
relocation

Re: No Signal After Wake

Postby rel » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:37 pm

yea
I"ll try to implement some solution in next version(s) :)
DVB Dream - because I have to dream about having time to code it
genpix
love DVB Dream!

Postby genpix » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:40 am

rel,
I believe, OS broadcasts the global announcement about system shut-down/sleep/wake-up (WM_POWERBROADCAST()).
If DVB Dream can catch this announcement, everything should be working normally.
DVB Dream has to de-initialize the DVB device before system goes into sleep, and then re-initialize (last active device) just after wake-up.

There is a potential problem with USB DVB devices:
I don't know how windows handles plug'n'play USB devices during sleep/wake-up. Does it disconnect/reconnect them? if not, DVB Dream can re-use the same device handle after wake-up.

added:
to receive these power-state-change messages, DVB Dream has to register itself for Power Events.
rshack
Not too shy to talk

Postby rshack » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:01 pm

yea
I"ll try to implement some solution in next version(s) :)
ermmm :?
sarcasm huh? ok then... thanks for the info once again genpix, looking like rel doesn't see this as a problem, nor want to fix it. Oh well, he already got my money, so no loss to him right? :roll:
rshack
Not too shy to talk

Postby rshack » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Just a bump, hoping maybe, there might be a chance this will get looked into :?
rsoares28
Just popping in

Postby rsoares28 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:45 am

Hello,

Any update on this? I'm having a similar problem.

Here are my specs

HTPC
Asus h61-i mobo
i3 2100
Gskill 4gb ram
ocz 50gd ssd sata 2
I have dvbdream 17a, dvblink 2.2
I'm using a genpix skywalker 1.

Everything works fine except when waking from S3 sleep. I get no signal until i perform a restart.

What i haven't tested yet is putting the computer to sleep and waking it right away to see if there might be a certain time frame before this happens.

Any advice?

Thanks
rshack
Not too shy to talk

Postby rshack » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:08 pm

Hello,

Any update on this? I'm having a similar problem.

Here are my specs

HTPC
Asus h61-i mobo
i3 2100
Gskill 4gb ram
ocz 50gd ssd sata 2
I have dvbdream 17a, dvblink 2.2
I'm using a genpix skywalker 1.

Everything works fine except when waking from S3 sleep. I get no signal until i perform a restart.

What i haven't tested yet is putting the computer to sleep and waking it right away to see if there might be a certain time frame before this happens.

Any advice?

Thanks
Nope, still no fix. Programmer (rel) doesn't see it as an issue apparently. He could implement Power Event so that DVBDream recognizes it's coming out of sleep and then would re-initialize the card. As of now I have a script that runs on wake and closes, then re-opens, DVBDream. Been working fine since I've had the issue. Would be nice if the I didn't have to do it this way though... don't see it getting fixed though, because it is a bug.
genpix
love DVB Dream!

Postby genpix » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:47 pm

rshack, your situation is very different from what rsoares28 has.
You use skywalker-2, which looses power completely when your PC goes to sleep (cause it's powered from the same power supply as your PC).

rsoares28 uses SkyWalker-1 which has its own power supply, and it does NOT loose the power when PC goes to sleep. Instead, SW-1continues to drain a lot of power (which in some degree defeats the purpose of saving energy sending PC to sleep).
Thus, SW-1 does not need reinitialization upon PC wake up (it did not loos its marbles).
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

@ rshack, I have implemented this, next upcoming version will support this, I am sending a test patch to you in PM, please test it
rshack
Not too shy to talk

Postby rshack » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:14 am

@ rshack, I have implemented this, next upcoming version will support this, I am sending a test patch to you in PM, please test it
OMG!! So excited :lol:
I've tested it out and sent you a PM with log.

Thanks rel, I will now *insert foot in mouth*
rsoares28
Just popping in

Postby rsoares28 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:17 am

I actually didn't get a chance to implement the patch but previous to my last msg i had changed the genpix drivers from the wdm to the BDA and so far i haven't encountered the crash after wake. will keep a close eye. However i have encountered a new set of problems that i will start in a new thread.
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:32 pm

fixed in v2.2 and above
rshack
Not too shy to talk

Postby rshack » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:41 am

It seems the problem still persists. I just did a clean install of the latest version of DVBDream, 2.2a and there is still no signal after wake.

I uninstalled previous version of DVB Dream, deleted the folder on the C:\ drive.
Removed the WDM drive for the genpix Skywalker-2 and installed the BDA driver, as suggested.
Installed DVB Dream 2.2a, ran the setup, scanned channels, etc.

Everything was working perfect.

Put the computer to sleep, upon wake the signal quality/level meters are blank. No response when changing channels. Closed the program, re-opened it. Everything was working again.

So it seems this bug is still present...

P.S. I also tried the reinitialize device, or similar, option. The "Ctrl+R" command to no avail. Only closing the program down and re-opening it truly re-initialized the device.
Last edited by rshack on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
rshack
Not too shy to talk

Postby rshack » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:48 am

P.P.S. Here are the dvbdream log files...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Done”