DVBDream team- Genpix card

General discussion . (Do not post bug reports or feature requests in this section!)

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

gimme dvb
Just can't stay away

DVBDream team- Genpix card

Postby gimme dvb » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:28 am

I commend you for stopping nonsense flame threads like the one in the "Bug Reports" forum. All I wanted was help, not to get into a flame war with some weird members of the forum.

I wish you would have locked it instead of deleted it though, as people will not find out they need a faster computer than before to play mpeg-4 now, and also will not see the type of person Genpix is.

Finally, from that thread I have found that the only ones who could possibly fix the mpeg-4 problem so that people don't require even faster computers is the team at DVBDream. I know Genpix cards are not as widespread as others, but some people have told me some guys on your team are working on it, so I will wait for some sort of update that you can provide.

By the way this post is just meant for the team at DVBDream, if the same people that started attacking me get on this thread please just delete them or warn them, I don't care to hear from these people. I don't even want to hear from Genpix anymore.

Genpix/2.004/Geforce 6600GT/WinXP Athlon 3200+/2gigs/Dish/SW21/single lnb
genpix
love DVB Dream!

Re: DVBDream team- Genpix card

Postby genpix » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:34 am

I wish you would have locked it instead of deleted it though, as people will not find out they need a faster computer than before to play mpeg-4 now, and also will not see the type of person Genpix is.
It's moved to a new location (cause discussion became non-technical):
http://www.dvbdream.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025
Now everybody can see that no one was attacking you (and you are the only one who used profanity).

And change the title of the thread, if you don't want to hear from Genpix anymore.
gimme dvb
Just can't stay away

Postby gimme dvb » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:38 am

So you want to start another flame war? I said I didn't want to hear from you. I only wish to communicate with the DVBDream team now as they must be more normal-headed than you. You are useless for help and don't like providing courteous customer support. I can put the word Genpix in the topic without having to hear any crap from you. Who are you to tell me what I can and can't put in my topic? You just don't like it because people will see it's about your card and a problem people are experiencing.

You think you're not attacking someone because you haven't used profanity, but instead use sarcasm. Then you say I need a shrink. I guess you can say that just because "technically" it's not profanity. That's Just how a techie geek would think. Then you insult people's intelligence by just addressing the semantics of a discussion. Really useless. Go away, I came here for technical support that's something you don't understand.
FredB
love DVB Dream!

Postby FredB » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:08 am

First thread has not been deleted, but this one could be if you don't remain polite :evil:
Finally, from that thread I have found that the only ones who could possibly fix the mpeg-4 problem so that people don't require even faster computers is the team at DVBDream.
You're wrong, the only ones who could possibly do some job about that are codecs developpers (CoreAVC, Cyberlink, Intervideo, etc...)

You mentionned in your previous thread, that Dish made changes on H.264 channels... Yes it's true, Dish used to stream 720i H.264 content, but since several months they now stream 1080i H.264 content on several channels. As 1080i contains more pixels to render than 720i, it requires more power to be decrypted.
Forum PCTVSat : http://pctvsat.free.fr
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Pinnacle PCTV Sat + Terratec Cinergy 1200 DVB-S / Athlon 64 3500+ - 2048 Mb DDR - GeForce 7900 GS
Twinhan Vision Plus 1030A + Asus Europa II Hybrid / PIV D920 2x2.8 Ghz - 2048 Mb DDR2 - GeForce 7600 GS
PCTV Sat Pro PCI (PCTV 450i) + DVICO Fusion HDTV USB / Athlon XP 3200+ - 1024 Mb DDR - GeForce 6600GT
Collective installation with 2 LNB Quad and multiswitches DiseqC - LNB A = Astra 19.2°E - LNB B = Hotbird 13.0°E - Commutation = 13V/18V/22K + DiseqC 2.0
zag1958
Just can't stay away

Postby zag1958 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:38 am

While I understand your position about wanting help, you really need to understand how DVB works before getting upset about lack of support. A DVB card is nothing more than a tuner. That is it. Its job is to tune to a specific transponder frequency and collect the data and pass it on to the DVB application. It doesn't care what compression is being used (mpg2 or mpg4), what encryption or anything else related to the stream make up. You could hook up a DVB card to P3 system, it would work just the same. It's the DVB applications' job to collect the data being passed on by the DVB card and parse it to the appropriate decoder for decoding. Ultimately it is the decoders' job to render the picture with the help of the video card (this is the part that takes CPU power).

It's a bit like blaming your car stereo for the weak sound coming out of your car speakers. The car stereo job is to tune to the radio station and pass the audio frequencies to the speakers. It's the speakers job to create the high fidelity sound.
Genpix Device
AMD X2 3800+, 7600GT, winxp sp2
NA old DTV Legacy LNBs, Chite 4x1 switch.
gimme dvb
Just can't stay away

Postby gimme dvb » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:16 pm

FredB, ok it might be the codecs then. I will have to ditch Cyberlink and find out why I get horizontal bands with CoreAVC. But let me repeat again, several months ago using Cyberlink I was getting 1080i fine in both mpeg-2 and h264. I'm pretty sure it was 1080i h264 because NBC and CBS have been broadcasting in 1080i h264 for awhile now. And they don't intend on changing it, because 1080i looks better than 720p (or 720i which I haven't heard much about, are you sure you didn't mean 720p?). ABC uses 720P because they broadcast more sports.

Now with the newer Cyberlink which I require or else I can't play anything, I've noticed 1080i mpeg-2 is using up to 90% of my processor when I record in renderless mode (and it's not h264). Whereas before it would use much much less cpu power. It still plays live video fine though. The mpeg-4 channels, forget about it they are choppy as hell in live mode, and I can't even record them. I can play 1080i and 720p h264 hd-dvd movies on my computer fine too. I don't know why these things have happened with the Cyberlink codec.

It looks like I either have two choices, get CoreAVC to work (I'll have to read up a whole lot more on it because I've tried using it before). Or get the more powerful processor and graphics card that I was thinking about getting anyway and pray that helps the problem. Thanks for helping.
tryit
Home away from home

Postby tryit » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:26 pm

hmmm, that was the explanation I gave you about a week ago.
TH102G/Genpix USB
FredB
love DVB Dream!

Postby FredB » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:21 pm

(or 720i which I haven't heard much about, are you sure you didn't mean 720p?).
:oops: You're right I've made a lapsus
Forum PCTVSat : http://pctvsat.free.fr
Pinnacle PCTV Sat + Terratec Cinergy 1200 DVB-S / Athlon 64 3500+ - 2048 Mb DDR - GeForce 7900 GS
Twinhan Vision Plus 1030A + Asus Europa II Hybrid / PIV D920 2x2.8 Ghz - 2048 Mb DDR2 - GeForce 7600 GS
PCTV Sat Pro PCI (PCTV 450i) + DVICO Fusion HDTV USB / Athlon XP 3200+ - 1024 Mb DDR - GeForce 6600GT
Collective installation with 2 LNB Quad and multiswitches DiseqC - LNB A = Astra 19.2°E - LNB B = Hotbird 13.0°E - Commutation = 13V/18V/22K + DiseqC 2.0
owlish
Just popping in

Postby owlish » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:37 pm

Wow... I just noticed this amusing thread ;)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. " -- Albert Einstein
SkyStar2+USB-2-8PSK
grusome

Postby grusome » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:05 pm

Now with the newer Cyberlink which I require or else I can't play anything, I've noticed 1080i mpeg-2 is using up to 90% of my processor when I record in renderless mode (and it's not h264). Whereas before it would use much much less cpu power. It still plays live video fine though. The mpeg-4 channels, forget about it they are choppy as hell in live mode, and I can't even record them. I can play 1080i and 720p h264 hd-dvd movies on my computer fine too. I don't know why these things have happened with the Cyberlink codec.

It looks like I either have two choices, get CoreAVC to work (I'll have to read up a whole lot more on it because I've tried using it before). Or get the more powerful processor and graphics card that I was thinking about getting anyway and pray that helps the problem. Thanks for helping.
I use NVidia's PureVideo with an old GeForce3 Ti200 for MPEG2 HD , in DVBDream and cpu usage is down to around 20 to 30%, on a P4 3.0Ghz system. With either my Twinhan 1020a or my Genpix USB v2.0 & 8psk module. h.264 MPEG4, is another matter. I can use FFDShow and it will work, but, at very high usage. You may want to consider PureVideo for your MPEG2 HD stuff. As for the h.264 from dn, you may want to consider upgrading your video card. ATI is supposed to be introducing a new series of 2xxxx cards that , like the new NVidia 8500 & 8600, have hardware accelerated h.264 decoding. One thing that makes the ATI cards more attractive to me, is they are going to be releasing AGP versions as well as PCI-E versions. I was going to build a new PC around an NVidia 8500 GT card(PCI-E). But, I am going to wait a bit for the new ATI cards and try one of them first.
h.264 video from dn is very hard to get going smooth without a high end video card and PC..........and the right codecs. If you are able to upgrade your video card, you may find that you will fix your problem.
grusome
Twinhan 1020a, Genpix USB v2.0
Nrmf
Home away from home

Postby Nrmf » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:31 pm

Genpix rules
Twinhan VP1025 Red
Driver 2.4.1.1
WinXP Pro SP2 512M Ram
AMD Sempron 2600 64 CPU
1 Dish-110-119 4 Port disqec
Matrox P650 64M
toshiba
Just can't stay away

New Hardware not Helping Me

Postby toshiba » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:59 pm

Well, instead of whining I think I'll share some things I've tried:

I've recently purchased a 6600 C2D, a geforce 8600gt, and an abit ip35 w/ 4GB RAM. Running Vista and using the Cyberlink driver I get audio and video on the interlaced .h264 channels, but the audio is delayed. On 720p h.264 channels it is like it's slowmotion, but the audio is smooth.

I get better quality under Vista, but I can't tell if the purevideohd hardware acceleration is working in dvbdream. if i record h.264 as a .ts file in 1080i or 720p i can play it back beautifully with powerdvd and only about 20% cpu.

I've tried the following codecs under Vista and XP:
intervideo -video
intervideo -audio---best audio
cyberlink -video---best video
cyberlink -audio
purevideo -video
purevideo -audio
ffdshow -video
ac3filter -audio

also, i think the way dvbdream is constructing the graphs is flawed somehow. i can't put my finger on it, but occasionally it appears that the same selection on the video options panel is producing inconsistent results after closing dvbdream and relaunching it. also, changes to the guids.ini file seem to bring inconsistent results as well (or at least i have yet to grasp the correllations). e.g., if i comment out a codec that is not even installed, say the "non 7.2" instance of cyberlink, the cycberlink codec will not show up at all on the video options window.

does vista handle graphs and codecs differently?

Anyone else out there with an 8500 or 8600 card have better results? I was really hoping my new system would eliminate all video issues.
gimme dvb
Just can't stay away

Postby gimme dvb » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:34 am

That's what I was afraid of, upgrading my system and still getting slowmotion video and offsync audio. Try CoreAVC just for the hell of it. I don't know what these people who claim to be getting h264 with no problems are doing.
toshiba
Just can't stay away

Postby toshiba » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:49 am

Tried it. Green bars around the actively rendered area on 720p, but the video is smooth. Works fine on 1080i but the audio is off.

The best combination I have found (under Vista) is Cyberlink video, Intervideo audio, generic video renderer (give an error, but somehow correct the automatic aspect ratio problem), and Cyberlink for h.264.

The 1080i h.264 channels are "almost there". Sometimes, randomly, the audio will be in synch....usually after switching around the video options.

I'm hoping the Intervideo update which is promised on their website to allow Bluray playback, will also correct our dvbdream problems.

Also, make sure you are using the beta nvidia driver in Vista, it is the only one with the full h.264 accelleration enabled.
toshiba
Just can't stay away

Postby toshiba » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:52 am

keep in mind, i'm trying to use dvbdream only, i have been able to get h.264 to work fine with tsreader/mpc, but that solution is not as slick for "from the couch" watching with a remote. ....unless i'm missing something.

luckily i needed to upgrade my pc anyway. needless to say, i would be quite pissed if dvbdream had been my sole motivation for the upgrade. ;)

Return to “General”