DvbDream crashes alot. dvbdream 1.7a

General discussion . (Do not post bug reports or feature requests in this section!)

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

no1ninja
Just can't stay away

DvbDream crashes alot. dvbdream 1.7a

Postby no1ninja » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:17 pm

dvbdream 1.7a
--------------
Skywalker-1 (1.1.8 device from genpix)
Saphire 5750
Windows 7 64bit
6GB DDR3
i7-930

DVBdream crashes a lot for me

Any suggestions? sometimes it will run for 1 hour, other times 2 minutes.

Skywalker-1, Diseqc 4port switch, i7-930, 6GB, Saphire 5750, Windows 8 64bit, Dual Display.
poppo
love DVB Dream!

Re: DvbDream crashes alot. dvbdream 1.7a

Postby poppo » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:54 pm

posting dvbdream.log could be helpful, also if you get that error window after crash with stacktrace (eureka log if i remember right) check copy to clipboard and post it here
Those logs are the only way for rel to determine why DD crashes
From the codecs screenshot i see nothing special (same codecs as i use without problems)
As for instability problems they can be caused by numerous things starting from faulty plugins,wiruses, bad drivers, damaded data on drive, errors in registry, antivirus software or other apps that modify network stack and some other areas of weindows
to conflicting or too many codex. Even if they are not used in DD they can cause instability.
Other causes for instability are hardware malfunctions (coud cause only certain apps hangs or general system unstability) ie not enough powerfull PSU, slighly misplaced expansion card (might work but under load cause random hangs), failing moderboard or thousand other things.
You should check if your systems runs stable (some stress test to check its stability under load).
From my experience determining exact cause requires some work and gathering lots of info.
So if You could provide above mentioned logs this could help diagnose Your problem.
SkyStar HD with TechnoTrend 5.0.2.1 drivers
reported by system as TT-budget S2-3200 (BDA)
on Windows XP/Vista/7 all 64 bit
mainly windows 7 x64 pro PL

Intel Q6600 12GB of RAM
GeForce GTX 280
dish at HotBird/Astra standart DiSEQC 1.0 swich
Motherboard Asus P5Q
no1ninja
Just can't stay away

Postby no1ninja » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Okay will do so next time.

What I did in the meantime is run a codec tweaker, this allowed me to see what codecs and filters are installed under my system. I turned all of them off, and then restarted dvbdream with codec errors. Could not even get it to run with microsoft codecs, etc.... ran the codec tweaker again and turned on ONLY coreAVC and AC3 filter, and dvbdream is running supper smooth, no crashes at all.

So for those that are having the same issues, a windows reinstall, or a codec tweak may be the ultimate solution. This application seems to be dependent on a lot more than itself, and you can easily screw it up with codec packs and other 3rd party stuff.

(I used CodecTweakTool 5.10 its a little goofy but it does the job)
Skywalker-1, Diseqc 4port switch, i7-930, 6GB, Saphire 5750, Windows 8 64bit, Dual Display.
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:40 am

In such unexpected cases of crashes, you can simply press & hold ALT + SHIFT keys of keyboard while DD is starting up.
This will return to default settings and you can reconfigure all, pick more stable codecs.

The rest of startup keys (from there help file)

Code: Select all

Following list includes keys that can be used to change settings during start-up.
This feature is very useful when you come across a problem which even doesn't allow DD to start
To use these keys, you must press & hold the key during DD start-up

· CTRL = allow to change codecs
· ALT = allow to change device
· SHIFT = do not tune to last viewed channel
· ALT + SHIFT = load factory settings (same effect as deleting settings.ini ! )
DVB Dream - because I have to dream about having time to code it

Return to “General”