dvbs2 card options

General discussion . (Do not post bug reports or feature requests in this section!)

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

byself
Just popping in

dvbs2 card options

Postby byself » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:06 pm

Hello there people.

I currently have e genpix tuner(skywalker-1), but I would like to explore some more options, so, I'm thinking on buying a dvbs2 tuner, I've never had any experience with those tuners, so, I do not know which one is better than the other one. So, What I want are your advices, what dvbs2 tuners work better with dbvdream ? which one is better, and for the price, well, I will look at it before deciding what tuner I'll buy :oops:

Thanks in advance

rel
relocation

Re: dvbs2 card options

Postby rel » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:11 am

If you are in North America, I think you have very limited access to FTA channels where DVB-S2 tuner could be any little use. So if you are into FTA I recommend TBS cards, simply because of that their engineers more willing to cooperate than any other company. Their cards will always be supported by DVB Dream completely. I strongly recommend avoiding Technisat ,Twinhan, AverMedia products because they won't provide any information when we ask to support all features on their devices. If the situation changes, I could recommend those.
I believe Genpix should be the best option for NA , considering DD support and Turbo-FEC support.
DVB Dream - because I have to dream about having time to code it
byself
Just popping in

Postby byself » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:09 pm

I think we have a few FTA options and not FTA also where I live.

Thank you for pointing me to those tuners, now I just need to chose the best option for me.

Thank you!
byself
Just popping in

Postby byself » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Ok, I know which one I want to buy, it is the TBS5980, but I don't see it on the 'supported devices list' http://www.dvbdream.org/supported_devices.php is it going to work ? or should I choose one of the ones listed there ?

One more question, is just that I don't want to create another thread for it, there's a new version of DVBDream, and every time I open dvbdream it keeps saying that there's a new version, if I update to the latest version, am I going to lose all configurations ? you know all those folders with special files there that you put to see channels, etc, etc.

Thanks for your advices.
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:35 am

You can do the updates on the top of older versions. DD will keep settings and channel list. just install the latest setup package into the same path. Probably you won't need but make a backup of settings.cfg and chlist.chl files anyway before updates.
All TBS devices work fine on DVB Dream. 5980 as well. mm yea, that list needs to be updated.
TBS's user manual for DD setup: http://www.buydvb.net/blog/user-manual- ... dream.html
DVB Dream - because I have to dream about having time to code it

Return to “General”