No audio is recorded on some channels with AC3

General discussion . (Do not post bug reports or feature requests in this section!)

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

tom80s
Just popping in

No audio is recorded on some channels with AC3

Postby tom80s » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:32 pm

Hi,
When I record from StarzHD (north American satellite) the audio is recorded with no problem. When I record from ShowtimeHD I get no audio during recorded playback. Both channels are AC3. The same happens with some other HD channels as well. I am recording as an mpeg file. I have had some issues with TS recordings as well. Some play and some don't.

I am using Genpix with DD and have tried just about all settings that I came accross with audio. I have switched between Cyberlink and Nvidia for video codec and am using intervideo for audio. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Genpix, NVidia 7950gt, Pentium DuoCore2 6600, 2gigs of Ram. North American Satellites.
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:46 am

Strange, all AC3 channels work well here (SS2, Europe), perhaps a new format? Is it working with other DVB player(s)? Have you tried to rescan those channels?

Not all audio codecs support AC3, but InterVideo should supports it.

You can try to record in TS, enable option "All audio pids", then try to open it is some video editor and check if there is any audio stream, if there is AC3 stream, then it's codec issue, if not, probably DD issue, or it's some modified format, I heard about it something, it's like MPEG4 video, better comprimation then standard AC3. Perhaps only new codec that supports this format is needed, perhaps change/fix in DVB Dream.

It could be also just a protection against recording, is it working if you just watch those channel(s)?
Dreamer
tom80s
Just popping in

Postby tom80s » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:43 pm

I can't really try it with another player because DVBDream is the only one that supports Genpix other then TSReader which I cannot afford right now.
Yes I have rescanned to no avail.

I checked files and no audio stream is being recorded. So I know it's not coming through. However it plays fine while viewing, it just doesn't record.
I also did try recording in TS but I have the same issue no audio is recorded.

I thought maybe to reinstall the program or another version and start all over. I also did try it on another computer and I get the same thing.

From what version did DD start to support GenPix?
Genpix, NVidia 7950gt, Pentium DuoCore2 6600, 2gigs of Ram. North American Satellites.
tom80s
Just popping in

Postby tom80s » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:34 am

Something very strange now. I used my Snazzio HD Cinema Network player to view the files. I do get audio but it is very choppy. The files that play ok on the computer play ok on the player. The files that have no audio on the computer play very choppy on the player. So there is something there.
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:38 pm

Strange, try to toggle Full TS mode in menu - Options > Device Options > Options, then restart DVB Dream.
Dreamer
tom80s
Just popping in

Postby tom80s » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:48 pm

I did as you said and still nothing. Now I installed MyTheater with Hauppauge PCI nexus. I tried some HD channels from another provider and I get audio no problem. I went back to DVBDream with the same newer provider and I do not get audio. So there is something in DVBDream that is causing this.
Rockin' Rick
Home away from home

Postby Rockin' Rick » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:33 pm

You're getting audio when watching? But not when the same channel is recorded?
No audio on both could be wrong PID or a codec/sound card issue. Sometimes the AC3 audio might be 2.0 other times 5.1. The codec and sound card will have to play nice to turn 5.1 into 2.0 if you're listening in stereo. Optionally 5.1 output might not work if the codec/sound card aren't prepared for it.

After that, no idea.
Twinahn 1020A, WinXP Pro, Dual Athlon 1800, 3 meter C/Ku dish and toroidal Ku dish.
tom80s
Just popping in

Postby tom80s » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:55 pm

Ok, here is the conclusion. I decided to try and use WMP Classic like others were doing. All of a sudden playback was flawless. However only when recording in TS mode not Mpeg mode.

The reason no audio was being detected by G-Spot or Mpeg editor was because I was recording in Mpeg mode. Once I recorded in TS mode everything was detected and playback was ok. Even the H.264 channels look great.

Thanks guys for answering.

Return to “General”