Several curious bugs in 1.4E

Please avoid duplicating bug reports in this section. (search in the previous posts first, if you find any related post, just reply the post to confirm the bug) https://www.dvbdream.org/howtoreportbug.php

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

ScanMan
love DVB Dream!

Several curious bugs in 1.4E

Postby ScanMan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:20 am

On standard QPSK-channels everything is absolutly great without any prob here.
Also 8PSK-channels with NORMAL MPEG-2 signals (to be found on 23.5°) causes no problem.

1)
But when trying to tune to an 8PSK-channel - even with full HD-signal as ANIXE or semi-HD like Pro7-HD or SAT1-HD - several different things at different times will happen:
- Sometimes ANIXE starts soon without buffer-probs.
- Next try take min. 15 seconds to minutes for picture/sound will become stable.
- Sometimes sound is lipsync - sometimes not
I can not reproduce this behavior !

2)
Sometimes it is possible to switch to an HD-channel, sometimes not.
Means switching is OK - but no signal/quality !
Sometimes you can swith back to standard-channels - SOMETIMES NOT !
Absolutly crazy....
Most of the time DD seems to be freezed - the machine works as normal.
BUT beeing patient also helps here: After a few minutes DD disapears.

3)
if it happens as described above, i can try to start DD as many times i like.
Works fine on normal channels but never there is signal on HD.
The only solution ist to shutdown the mach.ine
I mean a real shutdown with approx. 15 seconds or more pause !
A normal restart WON'T WORK !
Seems that all volrages on the board/power-supply must come down to zero to have a real reset....

3)
If DD crashes it often remains in memory. Sometimes twice !
It it watchable with taskmanager.
When i try to start DD again the machine gets extremly slow.
CPU load then is always constant at 100%.
When i'm very patient (mouse is moving only every 5 seconds...) and trying to close DD it will somtetimes work - sometimes not.

Hey rel: Don't be mortally offended... But what the hell you are doing there with any kind of buffers or something else ?
Mostly all of the users in the german forum posted this unbeautyful behavior.

Another little prob what could help to find the failure:
This wonderful plugin named Largo-Switch (the working 'GreenButton' for DD) won't work anymore in V 1.4E.
When you start LargoSwitch the tool normally switches to a PREMIER-Portal-channel to get neccessary EPG information and then it switches back to the current one. Normally that takes only 1 to max. 3 seconds.
Now in V1.4E DD freezes immediatly when trying to switch to wanted channel.
BUT NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS ! Machine works as normal.
Then - when you try to close LS - also DD closes without any notice AND NO ERROR message.
That didnt happen up to V1.4D...

At last a bug that still worries many people:
Recording via Scheduler will sometimes affect in an empty file (0 bytes), only have video for a few seconds and / or no sound.
IMHO this could depend on starting the record before the card is completly initalized.
I can wath this specialy for cards with a 'slow' driver - such as TH1041 with driver 1.0.5.9 (there's a new one 1.1.0.100 available).
TT S-3200 or SS2 with WDM didnt have much probs....

:?: ScanMan

Visit the german DD-Forum: www.dvbdream.de
90cm Dish on Rotor STAB HH 120 / Uni-LNB + 90cm Dish / Dual-Quad-LNB to 9/8 MultiSwitch for 23.5°E/19.2°E --- SkyStar 2, SkyStar USB-Box plus, TwinHan 1041 S2, Technotrend S-3200 S2, DVBWorld S2, Terratec Cinergy T USB XE --- a few PCs with AMD-CPU/ASUS-Boards from Athlon-2400+ to 64 X2 5600+, 1-2GB RAM, totally up to 2 TB HardDisk, nVidia Graphics. All using XP-Professional - everytime up2date
chattana
Just can't stay away

Postby chattana » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:05 am

Rel,
Why don't you aks the beta tester to check the 'enhancement' before publish the new version? Skipping the QA process will cause lot of issue for end users.
Thanks
Twinhand 1027
XP
AMD X2 5600
Geforce 8600
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:20 am

you are free to use old versions and that might be a good decision as I dont have time much at the moment (busy period).

patch versions (a b c d e ...) might be released immediately after another release. Usually there is no time for beta tests and maybe no need since they dont bring new features that much, but there are still usually 2 or 3 people who test them, if there are still bugs in patch versions there are usually the bugs hard to catch/reproduce (and fix!)

edit: please start one forum thread per bug.
DVB Dream - because I have to dream about having time to code it
ScanMan
love DVB Dream!

Postby ScanMan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:33 am

Let me resume the last weeks/months:

>>> The main prob seems to be having synchronous video & and audio while watching programs on 8PSK-TPs with MPEG-4 ???!!!

Standard QPSK works absolutly fine (here) since nearly one year with 1.3c.
Some slightly probs appear while using BDA-dependend cards/drivers - specially using DiSEqC.
But rel and me solved a lot of them by creating new interfaces therefore.
Unfortunately many DVB-C-user find/have fault in using due to less support of 256QAM and different SR's (e.g. 6750, 6110 her in Germany).
And the remaing prob with scheduled recording should be fixed. As told above...
An unattended damaged/unuseable recording of a but real important film/clip/reportage or something else is very, very annoying !

My private opinion:
- First explore the reason of probs and try to fix them best as possible to get the 'base' stable !
- Next add new one features after the other for testing and get them stable too. Same as above...
What's the funny saying all over the world: It's a feature, not a bug :-)

Adding new technologies such as 8PSK with MPEG4 ? Yes please !
But where is the prob ?
I don't know what you are doing there and wherefore 1 to x buffers must be allocated/synchronized/searched for/...

As i told you in private Mail we can try to optimize the BDA-interface to have maximum performance in data-transfer.
What about using an other demultiplexer and / or having a straight DirectShow-graph without detouring over several interfaces ?
... i'm working on it but having still the same sync-probs ...

My help is assured in any way to get DD better from V2V !

:D ScanMan
90cm Dish on Rotor STAB HH 120 / Uni-LNB + 90cm Dish / Dual-Quad-LNB to 9/8 MultiSwitch for 23.5°E/19.2°E --- SkyStar 2, SkyStar USB-Box plus, TwinHan 1041 S2, Technotrend S-3200 S2, DVBWorld S2, Terratec Cinergy T USB XE --- a few PCs with AMD-CPU/ASUS-Boards from Athlon-2400+ to 64 X2 5600+, 1-2GB RAM, totally up to 2 TB HardDisk, nVidia Graphics. All using XP-Professional - everytime up2date
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:53 am

you are right about the priority of MPG record problems.

it will take first priority after fixing the direct-show problems (for the display part)

...then BDA device issues might come first. (actually native BDA device works just fine with all my BDA cards but I'm still thinking on that plain-direct BDA-DS graph style , for other users / starbox etc )

I dont think it would be possible to use other demultiplexers (as there aren't much possibility for live streams as input / no documentation / no free demultiplexers)

thanks for help offer/ideas
DVB Dream - because I have to dream about having time to code it
ScanMan
love DVB Dream!

Postby ScanMan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:02 pm

With 'straight' DS-graph i mean something like shown graph in addition...
Works fine so far in my little Test-Prog (Delphi 7) and has no probs to bring the video on screen without stuttering.
There's no need of any buffer or something else - still working straight (for video) & and best for MPEG-4 with CoreAVC 1.6 !
The remaining prob is having synchronous on A & V !
My experience shows difference on different cards with differnent drivers.
Technotrend S-3200 will be the best here ever...
rel .....
..... would you allow a little look in your source ?
Maybe my additional eyes could see something more what you are blind for meanwhile ?
Let's stick togethter !
Even if Delphi is the same language....

:D ScanMan

Return to “Bug Reports”