3.0 - Scheduler is not working

Please avoid duplicating bug reports in this section. (search in the previous posts first, if you find any related post, just reply the post to confirm the bug) https://www.dvbdream.org/howtoreportbug.php

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

Dreamer

3.0 - Scheduler is not working

Postby Dreamer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:18 am

I'm using "Run as administrator" to create the task, it's correctly added to Windows Scheduler, but then...

1) If DD is running, with admin right or without it, the task is started "somehow", but just the empty .ts file is created.
2) If DD is not running, nothing happens, no file is created.

OK, one file has 0 Bytes, the other file has 188 Bytes. In the Windows Task Scheduler the status of task is "Running", but nothing is recording - for other task the status is "Ready".

It was working good in older version, even with Windows 10, even if PC was "sleeping" - and the admin rights was not needed.

I tried to change some options in the Task Scheduler, "configure for: Windows 10, Windows 7", but it's still not working.

EDIT: Task created with old DD version just started another DD instance / window, recording started, but the result is just empty file.

DD 3.0, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, DVB-T tuner AVerTV Ultra PCI-E RDS

Dreamer
Dreamer

Re: 3.0 - Scheduler is not working

Postby Dreamer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:37 am

New info after more testing...

I tried to disable "renderless mode" option and close DD - this time recording started (bit later), but there is no DD window, no taskbar or tray DD item, just the sound of recorded channel in background, which can be disabled only in Volume mixer, there is no icon and the program name is "Name Not Available". Two dvbdream.exe instances are opened in task manager.

Another test, same options, just I did not close DD, 55 seconds later, another dvbdream.exe instance started, but in the main and only visible DD window there are no indicators that recording started, result is just the empty mpg file.

Third test, same options for admin session of DD, then I closed DD and started new instance of DD without admin rights, result is another empty mpg file.

When "recording" starting, the new file has 790 Bytes often, then it's changed to 0 Bytes, not sure if this is important, then some mpg files have 2kB. Older broken files are .ts and they have 188 Bytes, I can send these to you if you want.
Dreamer
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:48 am

Another update, I tried to copy the dvbdream.exe from 2.8.1 version to new 3.0 install folder and - everything works perfect, no need to run DD as admin, no delay, no empty files, recording works perfect, if DD is running, or not, I will be testing it more with this version now...
Dreamer
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:28 pm

So, the wake up from sleep was not successful, perhaps the task was created/edited in version 3.0. :| In version 2.8.1 it was working good.
Dreamer
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:51 am

I have made the new API optional in next verrsion 3.1 .
So it will act as in the old versions by default.
If necessary, one can enter username/pass and use new Windows Scheduler API.
DVB Dream - because I have to dream about having time to code it
Chris_Sav
Not too shy to talk

Postby Chris_Sav » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:11 am

Appear to be having similar problems.

Have the workaround of 2.8 executable working for me as well.
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:29 am

released v3.1, test it please both by new API (by entering windows account username/pass) and old API (which works like in v2.8 and older versions.
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:34 pm

Early quick tests:

New API and old API works the same here (I don't have a Win password), I restarted DD while testing.

In both cases, "run as admin" is needed, it was not needed in v2.8.1.

In both cases, recording is working, no empty files, if no DD is running, but there is still no DD Window, taskbar item - and if "render-less mode" is disabled, then the sound is on while recording, it can be disabled only in Volume mixer, there is no icon and the program name is "Name Not Available", same as in 3.0.

Recording is also late sometimes, last time it was 29 seconds, about the same as in 3.0, it's not a problem, just to let you know.

When DD is running and it's time to start recording, another dvbdream.exe is started and the result is the empty file (sorry), tested with the old API and new API, result is the same.

Then I tried to delete streamReader.dll file and the results with old API and with DD closed and running are the same as above.

Perhaps the problem is that we need to run DD as admin while creating task, even with old API, so DD window is not started when it starts without "run as admin". I tried to enable "run as admin" option for the file dvbdream.exe, but it's still the same.

How to make it completely the same as in 2.8.1? It was working good - and completely without "run as admin".

If you need any more tests, or testing the patched version, just let me know, please. Of course I'm still testing this version...

EDIT: with the dvbdream.exe from 2.8.1 it works good, without run as admin, all other files are from new 3.1 version.
Dreamer
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:18 am

patched v3.1 (fixed the issue hopefully)
you can download it from the registered users area (members) section, the same link/setup file name as v3.1 (but it is patched version v3.1.1)

For new Windows Scheduler API, you need to enter username & password (of your Windows account)
Or if you don't enable it, it will work as in the past. (there was a bug , just fixed it)
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:24 am

Thank you, Rel.

Old API works good, recording works, DD window is opened and minimized, just small issue, it's not minimized to tray, but to the taskbar.

New API doesn't work good, I have the error dialog (0x8007052F), even if I restarted DD several times and used "run as admin". I tested more and tried to disable/enable new API option (checkbox), then restart DD, run as admin again and I had no error few times, recording was working too (just started few seconds later). When I started DD without "run as admin" for testing, then closed DD and started DD again - with "run as admin", then I had the error dialog again.

I see that "needs DD restart" text is missing in 3.1.1, why? This information is very important.

Another small issue, when using new API and run DD without "run as admin", when I try to delete the tasks created with new API, it looks it's possible, confirmation dialog is displayed, but then the task is just moved in the list, it's not deleted and there is no error dialog.
Dreamer
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:40 am

- Yea too much security in Windows 10. Task Scheduler is part of Windows, and it now requires admin rights to modify it. (Run as admin), Maybe I'll need to move DD scheduler out of the main executable, like a small exe tool, then manage it with admin rights (it will display Windows 10 security prompt to enter Scheduler) Little complicated, I'll do this later.
- I'll try either removing the need "for restart" or bring back the "needs restart" text

Btw is your UAC enabled or disabled ?
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:51 pm

UAC is set to "Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (do not dim desktop) - so it's ON, almost the same as default setting, just no "dim", because I don't like it, the screen is paused, incl. DD window or video player.

If you want to create own exe for scheduler, make it as option, please. With old API it works good here, always, no need to "run as admin", no need to type a password or username.

I wonder why the old API doesn't work for some users, if they have the same DD version, same OS, so perhaps we should try to find the differences, UAC state, OS version, DD install folder...

So my OS is Windows 10 Home 64-bit + all updates, incl. the anniversary update, UAC is ON (no dim), interface BDA 3.4.0 API 3.3.0, Device AVerMedia BDA DVB-T Tuner, DD install folder is C:\Programs\DVB Dream.

DD install folder might be important, I suggest to re-install DD to other folder, off the Program Files folder, or even to non-system drive, D: for example, if possible.
Dreamer
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:00 am

I found another issue, "Add to scheduler" - from old EPG or new EPG+ doesn't work, DD doesn't start, no file is created, even an empty file, perhaps the new API is used automatically, even if I'm using old API option in scheduler. When I create task manually, with the same options as option "add to scheduler" creates, it works good.

DD 3.1.1, Win 10 x64.

BTW Anyone tried to install DD to other folder than Program files folders and use old API?

EDIT: I just tried "add to scheduler" from EPG+ and then edit the item in scheduler, just changed the start time - and it works good, so this is a workaround.
Dreamer
Chris_Sav
Not too shy to talk

Postby Chris_Sav » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:02 am

Been away for a couple of weeks so only just picked up 3.1.1.

Unpredictable problems here,

installed and scheduler worked fine, running as administrator.

Now however, every time I try to add to scheduler it tells me to run as administrator, which I am both by right clicking or in advanced properties.

Reverted back to 2.8.1 and scheduler working fine again but needs administrator privs here.

W10 64 pro / BlackGold 3602 dvb-s
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:46 am

Chris_Sav - try to install DD to other folder - not to "Program files".
Dreamer

Return to “Bug Reports”