Blind Scanner Request

Suggestions and ideas for future versions

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

st1905
Just popping in

Blind Scanner Request

Postby st1905 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:01 am

I love to watch feeds but as you know it is hard to find their frequencies so i want ask you can you make a blind scan function in dvbdream?.It would be great.

Thanks in advance.

####Coship/smartvision cdvbany2030s with latest driver dvb-ip multipid data software maximum 0.3db lnb 105cm offset dish####
Betatester
Just can't stay away

Postby Betatester » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:24 pm

I'm afraid that not all devices can handle blind scanner function - for sure SkyStar rev. 2.3, but I don't know how about others (for sure SkyStar 2.6x not)
TBS 6925/6983

Dish: 90cm
Satellites: Hot Bird (13.0°E), Astra 1 (19.2°E), Astra 2 (28,2°E), Eutelsat 9A (9°E)
LNB's: Triax Twin
DiSEqC: WaveFrontier

Computer: Intel Core i5 760 - 2,8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD + 2x 1TB HDD, nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti, OS: Windows 10
Rockin' Rick
Home away from home

Postby Rockin' Rick » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:51 am

We've discussed this a few times. Now with direct hardware support it may be feasable. It's always been possible but performance would be very poor and very very slow.

That SkyStar card is a little different.

Some cards may or may not play nice. The card needs to be able to report back to software detection of a carrier without being locked to a stream.
Twinahn 1020A, WinXP Pro, Dual Athlon 1800, 3 meter C/Ku dish and toroidal Ku dish.
Nrmf
Home away from home

Postby Nrmf » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:28 pm

how do i get one of those dishes
Twinhan VP1025 Red
Driver 2.4.1.1
WinXP Pro SP2 512M Ram
AMD Sempron 2600 64 CPU
1 Dish-110-119 4 Port disqec
Matrox P650 64M
BxS
Home away from home

Postby BxS » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:51 am

Some cards may or may not play nice. The card needs to be able to report back to software detection of a carrier without being locked to a stream.
You can do that with some cards, but you only get the frequency, not the symbol rate, the symbol rate is the problem when is a low value.
Rockin' Rick
Home away from home

Postby Rockin' Rick » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:23 am

What we need is for the card to report it has detected a signal and at what level.
The software scans a range of frequencies looking for carriers. When the card reports it has found a signal above a particular threshold you continue scanning until it falls off again. Then you tune to the center. Use some math to estimate the signal's bandwidth. Assuming the modulation method you begin scanning through symbol rates over a range that the bandwidth suggests.
That's pretty much what the blind scan IRDs do. You can see that software would be able to do this with any dvb card that reported a received signal strength without being locked to a stream, if there are any. The cards only do what you tell them to. This may prove to be too slow to be practical. With DVBCore it would certainly be far too slow. The blind scan IRD's tuners were built with this functionality in mind.
I imagine with cards that play nice the speed would be about the same as an IRD.

If this can be made to work the possibilities are many. Compared to the abilities of these IRDs, in software there can be many functions. Automatically adding channels to the channel list, adding to TP lists, sorting, detailed scan rules such as scan from a to b and from c to d, skipping over known signals to save time, scan only one polarity, scan only for high or low rates. The copy to clipboard stuff in DD would be great too, you'd have everything you might want to know about the new channel.

It would be the coolest thing ever. But until somebody (Rel) digs in it's hard to be sure it would even work.
Twinahn 1020A, WinXP Pro, Dual Athlon 1800, 3 meter C/Ku dish and toroidal Ku dish.

Return to “Feature Requests”