FAQ Item 11 needs revision-correction

The posts related to fixed bugs & old feature requests will be moved to here.

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

NoOne1
Not too shy to talk

FAQ Item 11 needs revision-correction

Postby NoOne1 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:11 pm

Good evening,

In the FAQ;
11. How to setup more than 4 satellites

The verbiage is close but not entirely correct and way short of actual capabilities.

As currently implemented Uncommitted switch values of 0-15 (16 values) times Committed values of 1-4 yields 64 total satellites maximum. The program header files also indicate the sat/chl db structure supports 64 total satellites.

I have tested the addressability/functionality of 64 inputs with success using 5 Spaun SUR420’s, w2kp, th 03t (red) and the genpix. Unfortunately my beloved b2c2 does not properly handle uncommitted at the moment.

I did not spend the time to establish a full 64 satellite structure because of the continuing scan/tune problems associated with the th and genpix routines. Only the b2c2 can reliably scan/tune for me at this time.
====

In reality the roles of Uncommitted and Committed in the gui should be altered.

Uncommitted (0-15) should PRECEDE DiSEqC—>V1.0 or 2.0 as a selection and NOT appear as a Properties Tab subservient to a Committed value. Committed is subservient to Uncommitted.

The Uncommitted 0-15 input does not have to terminate in a Committed 1x2 or 1x4 DiSEqC switch. It could be the direct input from a splitter or lnb(f).
====

I am attaching illustrations of 1x16 and 1x64 inputs with associated Uncommitted/Committed switch ‘bit’ settings and selection routing.

Hth...

NoOne1
==

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:56 am

OK, it has been removed from the main list (it's still below).

Can you make easy to understand - few lines FAQ? Maybe it's not the best thing for FAQ...

Is this a bug? Can I move it to General group?
Dreamer
NoOne1
Not too shy to talk

Postby NoOne1 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:38 pm

I think it is both a bug (Uncommitted is subservient to Committed) and feature request (make Committed subservient to Uncommitted). VBG

Best thing may be to document current capabilities and allow Rel the time to investigate the ramifications of changing the gui and all dd internal lookup routines for the Satellites.

Let me know which approach Rel wants to take and I’ll do some simple FAQ text for you.

I will be submitting a simple gui content change in the other forum soon that involves uncommitted regardless of the decisions here.
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:40 pm

hi

thanks for the info NoOne1

I'm planning to change GUI to make it more suitable for unccommitted switches and cascaded structures. but it will take time. (must fix major problems before, MPG recording, EPG etc)
NoOne1
Not too shy to talk

Postby NoOne1 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:12 am

'Hi' yourself!

Potential FAQ text, for your/Dreamer's approval;

====
How To Access More Than Four Inputs/Satellites?

DiSEqC x.1 compliance allows Committed values 1-4 and Uncommitted values 0-15 yielding 64 input paths with full lnb(f) control. First setup all final Committed inputs 1 to 4, in the current GUI: OPTIONS—>Diseqc—>V1.0 or V2.0—>Port 1 (thru Port 4) repeating ADD SATELLITE as many times as necessary for each Committed port. Then use the PROPERTIES—>UNCOMMITTED tab to set the Uncommitted 0-15 value. GUI is subject to change in the future. May not function correctly for all cards currently.

Diagrams for Uncommitted/Committed with 16 inputs ‘here’ and 64 inputs ‘here’.
====
You may want to use the last sentence and possibly link to the respective diagrams. Entirely your choice.
==

Hth,

NoOne1

(Glad to see you’re back up-n-running as well as having some fun [Just popping in/Just can’t stay away]. Never hurts to laugh!)

==== Edit(s) ====
Added: Then use
Changed to question/answer format
Last edited by NoOne1 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:49 am

Thanks NoOne1, I'm still not sure if this should be in FAQ, Rel what do you think?

There should be "?" - question first, we could change it, no problem.

Idea - what about main FAQ and then "special" FAQ - 1 per post, I could remove other posts and users could add new FAQ then. That topic would be locked, if someone would have suggestion for FAQ, he could contact me or Rel through PM, we would add it there (small to 1st post, "big" as new post), or just unlock the topic for a while.
Dreamer
NoOne1
Not too shy to talk

Postby NoOne1 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:10 pm

Changed to Q&A format for you.

Good luck with your other decisions. VBG

Will get back to more testing the middle of next week.
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:41 pm

Changed to Q&A format for you.

Good luck with your other decisions. VBG

Will get back to more testing the middle of next week.
Thanks.

Rel so do you agree with that as FAQ?
Dreamer
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:52 pm

umm yes, just make it like NoOne1 said. (or give link to his post) you dont need to ask me about the forum content, you have full right to modify or delete :-) , for all the content here . I will try to let you know when it is necessary to do things in a different way.

Do not lock the FAQ thread, I think it will be better if you just edit or delete possible user FAQs when it is necessary. (after adding the users posts to main FAQ , delete their posts)
DVB Dream - because I have to dream about having time to code it
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:28 pm

Done. :)

You can delete these last two posts now.
Dreamer

Return to “Old bug reports & requests”