TV-Out, minimized, channel switch -- freeze

Fixed bugs & the feature requests that have been implemented. Section is just to inform users during version changes.

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

sashaluda
Not too shy to talk

TV-Out, minimized, channel switch -- freeze

Postby sashaluda » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:35 am

I've sent a bug report using auto feature already, just want to describe the setuation:

Hardware: AMD Duron 1700 on nForce2 with TV-out and graphic card onboard, SS2 (also have AverMedia TV tuner with RC which am using to control DD via dreamstart.exe).

Situation: have newest ffdshow with SSE, dvbdream 1.2e, bRemote (for Aver RC). Starting DD minimized, overlay gets it to my TV via TV-out, switching channels using dreamstart.exe.

Problem: it works only for some time, and then it freezes DD even before it does usual blink of screan to restart ffdshow. (BTW when maximized works ok)

Want to: switch channels w/o freezing

PS. This is an awesome software. You are making a pro product. Thanks!

rel
relocation

Postby rel » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:04 am

hi,

I saw the eurekalog bug reports.

I dont know what could be done for ffdshow to work better like other codecs.

Some ffdshow options might be causing a deadlock (if you can try to disable options one by one) and try the combinations with "Reset DirectShow on channel change" option of DD.
DVB Dream - because I have to dream about having time to code it
sashaluda
Not too shy to talk

Postby sashaluda » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:13 am

hi,

I saw the eurekalog bug reports.

I dont know what could be done for ffdshow to work better like other codecs.

Some ffdshow options might be causing a deadlock (if you can try to disable options one by one) and try the combinations with "Reset DirectShow on channel change" option of DD.
So, you think it's FFDShow's fault. Ok, maybe I can try different versions and /or switching options on/off. Is there way to (i know it's not the right way to program) have a work-around that. Let's say a codec freezes for some time (9 sec.) -- restart it.

Thanks for quick reply.
Sasha
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:28 am

So, you think it's FFDShow's fault.
I'm not sure but everything seems ok in DD side.
Is there way to (i know it's not the right way to program) have a work-around that. Let's say a codec freezes for some time (9 sec.) -- restart it.
nothing (except CTRL+W - reset DS - would be useful when it isnt periodic, and rarely happens)
sashaluda
Not too shy to talk

Postby sashaluda » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:30 am

Is there way to (i know it's not the right way to program) have a work-around that. Let's say a codec freezes for some time (9 sec.) -- restart it.
nothing (except CTRL+W - reset DS - would be useful when it isnt periodic, and rarely happens)
Thant's an idea!

Thanks.
Sahsa
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:38 pm

ffdshow works good here, try "recommended options" here.
Dreamer
sashaluda
Not too shy to talk

Postby sashaluda » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:13 pm

ffdshow works good here, try "recommended options" here.
Thanks for advice. Although, I consider myself (pretend to look taller now) an advanced user of ffdshow. In fact, I tend to squize out almost 101% out of what it can do ;)

Here are some news on the bug: switched to SonicCinemaster for video and freezups have almost disapeared. But only almost! And I think it's DD that's freezing, cause while it still was FFdshow I could double click the icon in systray and view what FFDShow was doing, while the picture shown by DD whas frozen on last channel.

BTW: because of this trouble, I've found out how to get amazingly low CPU usage -- it realy looks like SonicCinemaster is using Geforce4MX's builtin MPEG2 hardware decoder!!! So, with FFDShow as video and audio decoder it was about 55%, but now with SonicCimenaste and ffdshow audio - about 25%!

PS: i still squize out of ffdshow audio - dolby upmix to 5.1, 32bit floating, LFE, Volume normalizer. So, if I'd switch off some options -- i'd get even lower than 25%!

Thanks for your help.
Sasha
sashaluda
Not too shy to talk

Postby sashaluda » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:23 am

After expirimenting for some time with different codecs, I conclude that it's DD's problem. I think it's the dreamstart.exe making DD freeze.
I think (and hope) that anybody can repeat this even without use of TV-Out.
Just have DD minimized and try to control it with dreamstart.exe, after some time (i noticed that especialy after watching on one channel some time) it refuses to switch and has a picture frozen on screen.

It doesn't happen with DD maximized (restored or windowed) -- cause I use shorcut keys. TV-OUT works so is channel switching. It's only in minimized and dreamstart.exe case.

Please! Try to catch this bug. I realy hate to switch back to ProgDVB.

Thanks for your work.
Sasha
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:15 am

After expirimenting for some time with different codecs, I conclude that it's DD's problem. I think it's the dreamstart.exe making DD freeze.
I think (and hope) that anybody can repeat this even without use of TV-Out.
Just have DD minimized and try to control it with dreamstart.exe, after some time (i noticed that especialy after watching on one channel some time) it refuses to switch and has a picture frozen on screen.
fixed in v1.3

Return to “Done”