activated recording blocks incoming ts packets

the bugs that are most likely related to user configuration (like a specific hardware, codec or driver prob) or impossible to find a logical reason at the moment. The problems in this category might be fixed in future versions as users keep confirming them with additional information.

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

butterface
Just popping in

activated recording blocks incoming ts packets

Postby butterface » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:14 pm

Having sporadic "Co. Errors" (dropped ts packets) when recording I installed my card into a Duron 850 MHz System, having 100+ times more "Co. Errors" while recording and viewing and no errors when only viewing. Recording in renderless mode is a bit better but not perfect.
This shows that these dropouts are a fault of DVB Dream and not the driver or my hardware.

Looks like there are less errors on faster systems, but 850 MHz should be enough for recording and Recording errorless should have a higher priority than decoding.
It would be a shame keeping or sharing broken records :? .

It seems the TS handling is included in the callback function. Little delays in hard disk access may block the callback function of being invoked by the driver.
I suggest the callback function should only write to a large enough buffer and then leaves immediately to be ready for the next packet. Packet processing should be included into another thread.

Skystar2 PCI DVB-S Rev. 2.6D / Driver 4.4.1
Athlon XP 2400 32Bit / 1G RAM
Windows XP SP2 / DVB Dream 1.3c
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:19 am

It uses a buffered system. Does the same problem occur with both record formats (TS and MPG) ? or specific to one?

and have you tried recording and viewing by cooling the device (PCI card), i.e. using some extra fan ?
DVB Dream - because I have to dream about having time to code it
butterface
Just popping in

Postby butterface » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:25 am

Does the same problem occur with both record formats (TS and MPG)
I recorded in MPEG only.
.. have you tried recording and viewing by cooling the device (PCI card)
Yes, that doesn't help.

It's strange, yesterday I recorded some hours on different channels with video rendering enabled and no cooling on the 850MHz machine and not a single error appeard in PID statistics. Unfortunately the recorded files have a lot of errors if they were recorded with parallel video rendering, but no errors if rendering was disabled. Looks like video rendering may affect recording in a bad way.
The day before I had hundreds of "Co. Errors" on the same machine on all channels I switched to.
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:56 pm

any news?

could you fix the problem there?
DVB Dream - because I have to dream about having time to code it
butterface
Just popping in

Postby butterface » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:50 am

I'm not sure what the problem was. I bought a newer revision of the card which is now running on a relatively clean Windows installation. The old Windows installation somehow caused DVBDream to hang for serveral seconds when starting or switching channels, this problem is gone.

Sometimes I still have multiple "Con.Err"s on very specific Transponders although the signal level is very good.

Now I only record in TS format.
DVBDream seems to corrupt splitted files at the end/beginning, at least when recording in PS. The last packet of a file looks always truncated. When playing these splitted files together there are always small video errors where the split is located.
DVBDream resets the PTS for every splitted PS file, that is very unuseful.

Return to “Undetermined”