SkyStar S2 and S2 Channels

Please avoid duplicating bug reports in this section. (search in the previous posts first, if you find any related post, just reply the post to confirm the bug) https://www.dvbdream.org/howtoreportbug.php

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

fletcher1717
Not too shy to talk

SkyStar S2 and S2 Channels

Postby fletcher1717 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:15 am

Hi,

I am experiencing problems with S2 channels. It is as if my device is not always able to tune to them. When scanning, despite the transpoders being in my file and correct, not all of the S2 channels are correctly tuned.

Of the S2 channels that I am able to find during a scan, I cannot always tune to them. There seems to be a pattern to it which I will try to explain below.

1. Tune to an S channel - Success
2. Tune to an S2 channel - tuning fails, signal strength and quality are 0
3. Open channel properties for the S2 channel and press OK with changing anything. - tuning succeeds. Good quality and strength.
4. I can then tune to any S2 channel and it will work.
5. If I then tune to an S channel again it will work. But I have to repeat steps 2,3 and 4 to be able to view an S2 channels.

I am using driver version 4.5.1. I cannot seem to do anything with this latest version (4.6.0).

I do not experience any issues with other DVB software.

Please let me know if any further information is required.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
dvbdream.rar
Logs
(3.56 KiB) Downloaded 858 times

Last edited by fletcher1717 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Technisat SkyStar S2
Windows 7 32bit
Astra 2
No Diseqc
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:43 pm

:?:
Skystar 2 doesn't support DVB-S2 reception (it doesn't have a 8psk tuner)
:!:
DVB Dream - because I have to dream about having time to code it
fletcher1717
Not too shy to talk

Postby fletcher1717 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:46 am

Hey,

Sorry, if I have provided misinformation.

My card does support S2. It can be seen at the link below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0035NFW8Y/r ... nkCode=asn

All S2 channels work fine in the supplied DVBViewer TE as well as the other DVB software (prog dvb).

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks
Technisat SkyStar S2
Windows 7 32bit
Astra 2
No Diseqc
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:12 am

then it is SkyStar HD2

you should install BDA drivers, then it should work fine on DD.
fletcher1717
Not too shy to talk

Postby fletcher1717 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:16 am

Hi,

I do not think that it is a SkyStar HD2. I installed the BDA drivers for the HD2 but my computer could not start and I had to do a System Restore to get it to work again.

I think that it could be this card:-

http://www.technisat.com/indexe8ab.html ... ,en,76-444

From the behaviour that I have described in the original post, the card can clearly tune S2 channels in DVB Dream. I can only speculate but it looks like there is something that happens when the OK button is pressed on the channel properties that if that happened when I tuned to the channel then it would work perfectly.

Thanks
Technisat SkyStar S2
Windows 7 32bit
Astra 2
No Diseqc
fletcher1717
Not too shy to talk

Postby fletcher1717 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:21 am

Hi,

Is anyone able to help with this?

Thanks
Technisat SkyStar S2
Windows 7 32bit
Astra 2
No Diseqc
Snuffer
love DVB Dream!

Postby Snuffer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:33 am

THis card are NOT a HD S2 card the HD S2 card have no tuner and on the back a connector for a power suply.

http://www.tvcorner.com/product_info.ph ... anguage/en

Have fun
fletcher1717
Not too shy to talk

Postby fletcher1717 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:57 am

Hi, sorry I do not understand.

The link that you have provided is not for my card. The link that I have provided is for my card which I am trying to get working 100% with DVB Dream.

Everything works fine apart from the issue that I have reported above.

Is anyone able to help with this issue?

Thanks
Technisat SkyStar S2
Windows 7 32bit
Astra 2
No Diseqc
genpix
love DVB Dream!

Postby genpix » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:58 am

fletcher1717,
what part of "you can not tune DVB-S2 streams if you don't have DVB-S2 card" don't you understand?
Buy DVB-S2 card first (make sure it has a BDA driver), then you may use any DVB application (which supports BDA drivers).

SkyStar 2 card (http://www.technisat.com/index381f.html) can not work with DVB-S2 signals. Read the specs.

added: "SkyStar 2" and "SkyStar S2" are completely different animals. If you have "SkyStar S2", install BDA driver for this card, and try again (you can not use BDA driver from "SkyStar HD2", it's a different card either)
genpix
love DVB Dream!

Postby genpix » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:25 am

and you opened the thread in completely wrong section.
This is "Bug Reports" section (you thread should go somewhere like "user has no clue what satellite card he is using").

If you try to use "SkyStar 2" driver with your "SkyStar S2" card, it is a user error!
In no way it can be called a "software bug".
fletcher1717
Not too shy to talk

Postby fletcher1717 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:53 am

genpix,

Thanks for your reply. I can perfectly understand all parts of "you can not tune DVB-S2 streams if you don't have DVB-S2 card". Thanks for your concern all the same.

The latest drivers issued by Technisat for the SkyStar S2 do not include any BDA drivers. There are BDA drivers on the installation CD that came with my card but installing them causes DVB Dream to crash.

I am using the correct drivers for my card (WDM). If you read through the bug reproduction steps in my original post you can see that DVB Dream can tune to the channels that I am having issues with, just that a precise set of key presses are required in order for it to work. To me that seems like a bug - the hardware and software can interact under the correct circumstances. There may be something that I am unaware of here but none of the responses have indicated as such.

I am sorry that getting the name of my hardware wrong has been a source of annoyance or confusion - just someone trying to get a little help with this application.

Thanks
Technisat SkyStar S2
Windows 7 32bit
Astra 2
No Diseqc
rel
relocation

Postby rel » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:58 am

Probably it is some another card from technisat with little confusing name, I first time noticed. (probably data only, produced for satellite-internet providers ?)
If BDA drivers won't work with it, there is nothing much to do about the card for now. except that just to wait next versions,
maybe we will find some info about how to support it completely through WDM drivers.
fletcher1717
Not too shy to talk

Postby fletcher1717 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:12 pm

Thanks for the reply, rel.

What happens when you press OK in the channel properties dialog that could be causing the channel to tune correctly? Surely that is the key to getting this to work? Can this behaviour not be replicated when the scanning and tuning to a channel?

Thanks
Technisat SkyStar S2
Windows 7 32bit
Astra 2
No Diseqc
genpix
love DVB Dream!

Postby genpix » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:53 pm

it could be some timing issues (some delays should be installed here and there between calls, or sequence of function calls should be changed a little bit).
But as rel said, if there is NO documentation for their WDM driver, nothing we can do here (unless Technisat decides to write their own *.dev file for DVB Dream).
Yanzig
Just popping in

Postby Yanzig » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:28 am

Good news, Rel. This card have to suppot in DD. And mast turn motor, and switch diseq :).
Skystar_S2 supports only WDM driver!!! With BDA driver it bogged down by the stream :).
I'm waiting for a new version.
DVBDream_v1.5_beta_7/Skystar_S2/Technisat/4.6.0/WinXP SP3/Asus _P5B/ATI4850/Duo_Core_E6420

Return to “Bug Reports”