Network encoder users would like feature..

Suggestions and ideas for future versions

Moderators: Dreamer, FredB, X05

MKANET
Not too shy to talk

Network encoder users would like feature..

Postby MKANET » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:41 am

Currently, when DVBDream is loaded into memory, it attaches to the respective BDA driver and starts to stream audio/video even if it's in renderless mode and sitting in the Windows System tray waiting for the network encoder to request a channel change and stream. This can waste valuable system CPU cycles when the network encoder doesnt need a stream. There is also an unnecessary drain on USB bandwidth; especially for transponders with very high bandwidth usage.

It would make sense to have a preference for network encoder users to not even connect to the BDA driver UNTIL there's a stream request and respective channel change from the network encoder.

This would mean 0% resource utilization from DVBDream (CPU usage, USB bandwidth, etc) for network encoder users until they actually need the stream. I realize this may add a small delay in connecting to the BDA driver and start streaming, but it would be much more efficient usage of resources.

(meant to work as a network encoder). This WILL waste system CPU cycles unnecessarily.. sometimes using up to 5%-6% of the total system CPU depending on hardware used.

My feature suggestion can greatly benefit many people; especially if they use multiple instances of DVBDream and/or use DVBDream as only a network encoder.

Thanks,
-Michael

Feature suggestion:
Add a DVBDream preference to disconnect from the BDA driver UNTIL there is a channel

DVBWorld HD 2104 CA (USB)

Optional "MagicCAM" CA smartcard reader!!

Hardware CAM support: All versions of Nagravison, irdet* 1 & 2, viac**s, Conax, sec*…
MKANET
Not too shy to talk

Postby MKANET » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:02 pm

I can at least avoid wasted CPU cycles when first starting DVBDream by unchecking "Tune to last channel on startup".

However, the problem is after I stop watching the channel via the network encoder plugin, the DVBDream doesnt stop tuning that channel.

Feature needed: Stop tuning a channel after a network encoder stops actively using a DVBDream stream.
DVBWorld HD 2104 CA (USB)

Optional "MagicCAM" CA smartcard reader!!

Hardware CAM support: All versions of Nagravison, irdet* 1 & 2, viac**s, Conax, sec*…

Return to “Feature Requests”